Sunday, 26 April 2009

Christmas in April .. Part Three

This will be my last 'Christmas Craft' post for a while.
I've had this on my To Do list for a while now, but only just got around to working on it.
As our tree will have a vintage feel to it this year, I thought I'd make a crown topper instead of the angel teddy bear we usually have. I was planning on using my wedding crown, but quite like that in the display I have in my kitchen. I thought I'd try to make something vintage-y instead.

This is my third attempt at making a small crown. I have tried with velvet fabric, pearls on wire, wire on it's own. In the end I used thin clear plastic and covered it with lace and a dismantled brooch that I bought last week. I would have shown you the tree topper actually sitting on top of a tree, but the glue is still wet, so it needed support. Our weather is due to change from bight and sunny to grey and rainy, and I really wanted to get a photo of it in a real tree to show you! If I can get a better photo of it when it's safe to try it out, then I'll add it to this diary post.

The really tricky part has been trying to work out how to make sure it will sit on top of the tree. Again, lots of trying with wire and clear plastic. In the end I had a brainwave and cut the top off a bottle of sparkly water. The screw up part will work as a holder - I hope! If it doesn't work then it's back to the drawing board and I'll have to think of something else. However, I think that once the glue is dry it should work out just fine. To stop the top of the tree just stabbing it's way right out of the top of the crown, I have cleverly glued some organza on the inside, thus blocking the hole.

To try to explain myself a little clearer, here's a photo of the underneath of the crown. Ignore the wet glue! So now I just need to wait for the glue to dry completely, then I can test it out properly. If it doesn't work, well, the teddy bear angels will take centre stage again.

++ couldn't resist, and had to try it out. It works!